Monday, May 26, 2008

Maniacal Machinations: Famous Last Words

"Wait a minute . . ." - Pope Alexander VI

"Am I dying, or is this my birthday?" - Lady Nancy Astor (seeing her family at her bedside)

"Maybe they only had one rocket" - A soldier in WW2 just after his bunker was hit by a rocket. A second volley came soon enough.

"Who is it? Who is it?" - Billy the Kid

"I live!" - Caligula

"I'm bored with it all." - Winston Churchill

"But how the devil do you think this could harm me?." - Denis Diderot

"Dammit…Don't you dare ask God to help me." - Joan Crawford

"Now why did I do that?" - General William Erskine after jumping out of a window

"I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring." - Richard Feynman

"No! I didn't come here to make a speech. I came here to die." - Crawford Goldsby after being asked if he had anything to say before being hanged

"Don't worry…it's not loaded…" - Terry Kath

"Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!" - Karl Marx after being asked what his last words were

"Don't make a mess of it - shoot straight, you bastards." - Harry Morant

"This isn't Hamlet, you know. It's not meant to go into the bloody ear." - Laurence Oliver (his nurse was trying to moisten his lips but missed)

"Hurry up, you Hoosier bastard, I could kill ten men while you're fooling around!" - Carl Panzram

"I can't believe, after all this time, it was a bloody banana that killed me." - Ivanka Perko

"I'd like to be in hell in time for dinner." - Edward H. Ruloff

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist…" - General John Sedgwick

"Why, yes, a bulletproof vest." - Domonic Willard (just before his execution by firing squad when he was asked if he had any last requests)

"Oh, what's the bloody point?" - Kenneth Williams (final journal entry)



On a different note, to quote Paltir, "What're the last words you'll hear from a redneck? 'Watch this.'"

No comments: