Monday, June 9, 2008

BGM (Blogground music)

I've seen some really nice blog formats, and some really horrible ones (400X300px body text frame? You gotta be kidding me...), and I think they're all fine even if the colour scheme is some ungodly combination of bright purples and greens that makes Eva-01 want to rip its eyes out.

But there's one thing that immediately puts any blog on my do-not-visit list regardless of flair, and that's blog music. Crappy blog music. Auto-playing blog music without a stop button. Any and all of the above. Without exception, without fail (well, with lots of FAIL actually, but you get the point).

I have my own music. I listen to my own music. I don't want to hear your crappy music, even if you love the band to bits and have posters of them (I don't want to know about the dakimakura >_>). So when crappy music intrudes into my playlist without my permission, that's it.

There are proper ways to do background music (where appropriate!), and ways not to do it. Songs with lyrics? No. Songs with more than 5 or 6 instruments at any point in time? No. Loud music? No. Subtle, non-intrusive, simple, loop-safe music? Yes, under certain conditions.

No comments: